Sunday, October 17, 2010

Wednesday, Cozumel

Sorry for the delay in posting.  I've been fighting the ear infection I acquired diving the Cenotes - see tomorrow's post.  So this day's blog was written after my return.


So..Cozumel...I appeared at Jason's shack around 8 AM and was a bit surprised to hear I'd be going to Cozumel to meet up with a different dive operation.  But Jason walked me down to the ferry dock, through picking up the ticket and standing in line.


There we were joined by Patrice, another divemaster, who was accompanying a diver to Cozumel.  Patrice was from France, but had lived in the US, but now in Mexico.  He had been a wine merchant in France.  His diver was a doctor from Mississippi.  I guess someone has to live there.  Eventually I found out she had done most of her diving in Okinawa during her military service.


Eventually we boarded the ferry and headed to the top deck.  As usual, on dives, I was so focused on the upcoming dive, that the ferry trip sort of passed me by.  Most of our fellow passengers were Mexicans on vacation. You could not see Cozumel from the mainland - it's about 15 miles away.  Immediately when we landed, the dive boat was docked at the pier and we headed there, boarded and quickly took off.




It was the four of us diving - Patrice, his diver, the Mexican divemaster and me.  We headed south along the waterfront to a spot dubbed "<name of divemaster>'s reef" - really the end of Santa Rosa wall.  I had been worried that a wall would be a precipice.  But it sounded like it was more of a steep slope, which would be ok with me.

We jumped off the boat.


and  headed down to a large coral head.



It was a drift dive.


Frankly, with all the stimulus of this trip, it is hard to remember particulars other than, in one way it was so impressive - total visibility, typical Caribbean flora and fauna - but totally wonderful - the dive I had always wanted to take.
 


The next dive - Paradise Reef - north of the first, another drift dive, was even more impressive.  My only disappointment was not seeing larger marine beings.  I think some of the scarcity was due to the recent storm.  And indeed, that is why we did not dive Santa Rosa wall.  For this reason, I would definitely want to return during non-hurricane season.


We surfaced on a line the divemaster launched to the surface and headed back to the dive shop, where a rooftop restaurant provided a much-appreciated lunch in a scenic location - by the water, under a thatched roof.  Afterward, we boarded the boat and were taken back to the ferry terminal. We were given a time to be back for the ferry and let loose to explore town.  I walked around the large square, assaulted by the vendors who have congregated to serve the cruise ships, but enjoying the young Mayan families.  Finally I bought a coke, just to ease the heat, and started back to the ferry.  Just then we heard cannon or rifle shots.  By the time I returned to the ferry terminal, a procession was passing.  The typical Catholic banners and the faithful, a band.  They proceeded onto the dock and boarded a small ship which later headed north.  It was the day of the saint of the fisherman.


I headed back onto the ferry and onto the top deck where I found Patrice.  This leg of the journey had a band heading to work on the mainland who played for the 40 minute transit.  I got off the ferry and walked the 2 blocks to opposite the bus terminal where Jason was waiting.  Today he drove me back to the resort.  Though I had reserved the shuttle bus, I was not about to turn down a private shuttle.

Off to dinner and early to bed for the diving on the next day - the Cenotes!

No comments:

Post a Comment